Monday, July 15, 2013

Kung Pao Chicken

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening foodies, bloggers, and friends! Today we will be making some scrumptious Kung Pao chicken. I chose this recipe because as I sit here typing this, my sister and I are playing Sims 3. Our sims are currently on vacation in Shang Simla, China. If you've never played Sims 3, that a play on Shangri La, China. 

I was inspired, thus my choice for today's recipe. I normally don't eat Kung Pao chicken. I have my standard shrimp whatever when I go to a Chinese restaurant, but trying new things is a good thing, right? This is a spicy stir-fry recipe that originates from the Sichuan Province of Central-Western China. 

So, anyway, I'm getting really hungry sitting here thinking about this so why don't we head on over to the kitchen and whip us up some of this delicious chicken? I'll meet you there!




Kung Pao Chicken




You will need:


  • 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts




Ready?



  1. Combine the chicken and cornstarch in a small bowl, then toss to coat. 
  2. Heat sesame oil in a wok over medium heat, add chicken and stir fry 5 to 7 minutes or until no longer pink inside. 
  3. Remove the chicken from the wok.
  4. Add the green onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and powdered ginger to the wok and stir-fry for 15 seconds.
  5. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl. 
  6. Mix well and add the sauce to the wok.
  7. Return the chicken to the wok and coat with the sauce. 
  8. Stir in the roasted peanuts, and heat thoroughly. 
  9. Top with additional green onions if desired and serve over white rice.
  10. Enjoy!





Thanks for joining me today. I'll be back again tomorrow with another recipe. Until then, have a great day, enjoy your Chinese food, and happy blogging to all!