Those who have kidney disease need to watch their potassium and phosphorus, but most importantly… NO SALT. This will be a wonderful challenge. I will share some of my recipes in later posts. Since I will be cooking many meals at one time, I needed to work on my knife skills to improve my efficiency and organization. Today, I wish to reveal the salad I made which working on my knife skills. Waste no, want not.
Sharpening My Knife Skills Salad
- 3 c. spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- ½ sm zucchini (diced)
- ¼ red bell pepper (chopped)
- ½ carrot (diced)
- ¼ c poblano/pasilla pepper
- 1 stalks celery
- 2 tbsp red onion (finely diced)
- 4 basil leaves (thinly sliced)
- 3 mint leaves (thinly sliced)
- ½ c light olive oil
- ½ c balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 sm clove garlic (pressed)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a container with lid and shake to emulsify.
- Toss all salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Coat with desired amount of dressing.
As I always say, you can really use what ever ingredients you desire and still have a great salad. Often I like to add the sweetness of fruit to balance out the savory, but I did not have any on this day. If you want more of a dinner meal, simply add any left over meat you have from earlier in the week. Cheers!