For our recipe tonight, we will be making a delicious soup chock full of butternut squash and lentils. For all of you gluten-free folks, this meal will be perfect for you. Heck, this meal will be perfect for soup lovers, vegetarians, and just about anyone in general, well unless you are a kid who dislikes vegetables or a soup hater... But who knows? Maybe we can turn those soup haters into soup lovers! Here's to hopeful thinking! As usual, I invite you into the kitchen, and we'll whip up something delicious. Meet you there!
Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound butternut squash, diced
- 2 ounces brown lentils
- 16 fluid ounces gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons non-fat natural soya yogurt, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the tomato purée, cumin, cinnamon, salt and cayenne and give it a quick stir.
- Add the squash, lentils and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes until the squash and lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of the yogurt and a sprinkling of the coriander and almonds.
Have a great day, and I hope that each of you enjoys this delicious, hearty soup. I'll be back tomorrow, but until then: Happy blogging to all!