Thursday, July 11, 2013

Butternut Squash Lentil Soup

Hey bloggers and friends! Today I didn't feel like making anything pertaining to meat. I get in moods where all I want are pancakes, waffles, soups, and pie. This happens to be one of those times. I blame it on my reading addiction. When I start reading, everything else is lost to me. My world disappears and I'm left in an imaginary world of wonder.

For our recipe tonight, we will be making a delicious soup chock full of butternut squash and lentils. For all of you gluten-free folks, this meal will be perfect for you. Heck, this meal will be perfect for soup lovers, vegetarians, and just about anyone in general, well unless you are a kid who dislikes vegetables or a soup hater... But who knows? Maybe we can turn those soup haters into soup lovers! Here's to hopeful thinking! As usual, I invite you into the kitchen, and we'll whip up something delicious. Meet you there!




Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
Serves 4





You will need:



  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 pound butternut squash, diced
  • 2 ounces brown lentils
  • 16 fluid ounces gluten-free vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 tablespoons non-fat natural soya yogurt, to garnish
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander, to garnish
  • 2 tablespoons flaked almonds, to garnish






  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. 
  2. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until soft.
  3. Add the tomato purée, cumin, cinnamon, salt and cayenne and give it a quick stir. 
  4. Add the squash, lentils and stock, then bring to the boil. 
  5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes until the squash and lentils are tender.
  6. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. 
  7. Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of the yogurt and a sprinkling of the coriander and almonds.
  8. Enjoy!





Have a great day, and I hope that each of you enjoys this delicious, hearty soup. I'll be back tomorrow, but until then: Happy blogging to all!