Friday, July 19, 2013

Homemade Cheez-Its

Hey foodies, bloggers, and friends! Welcome to The Tasteful Texan! Today we will be making one of my favorite snacks. It also happens to be my big sister's favorite snack as well: Cheez-Its. We could easily go out to our local market and buy a box of processed cheese squares, but have no idea what all those huge words in the ingredients list are. We won't have any of that non-sense in our cheesy squares today!

I know normally we make a dinner recipe, or maybe a lunch recipe, but I've been eyeing this recipe for months. Yes, months. I wasn't sure when I wanted to incorporate the yumminess into the blog, but now seems like a really good time. In fact, my mouth is watering just thinking about the cheesy goodness, so why don't you all meet me in the kitchen and we'll whip up a batch? I'll meet you there! Allons-y!




Homemade Cheez-Its



You will need:



  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 2 tablespoons cold water





Ready?





  1.  In a food processor, pulse everything except water together until it looks like coarse crumbs.
  2.  While pulsing, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time.
  3.  Remove from food processor, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
  4.  Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  5.  Roll out the dough (very thin) and cut into squares. 
  6.  Use a toothpick, or the end of a scissors to poke a hole in the middle of each cracker.
  7.  Place the crackers on a lined baking sheet. 
  8.  Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until crispy.
  9.  Enjoy!





I hope your kids and family enjoy these tasty cheese squares! I'll be back soon with some sort of a new recipe. Stay tuned because Breakfast Saturday is coming up soon. I'll see you all there! Until tomorrow, I bid you all a good day, and happy blogging to all!