Saturday, July 6, 2013

Breakfast Saturday: Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Bake

Good morning friends, families, and bloggers! It's Breakfast Saturday again, and we all know that means something yummy will be sitting on our table tops very soon. That something today is a bacon and hash brown egg bake. This is really one of those all-in-one breakfasts that I enjoy so much.

I'm not going to lie and say I enjoy hash browns as much as my hubby, but considering that this is one of those all together meals, I'll eat it. I'm normally more of a pancake, waffle, super ooey, gooey cinnamon roll kinda gal. Though every now and again a recipe catches my eye, much like this one. We're going for savory instead of sweet today. This recipe really has all the essential items in it: bacon, onions, eggs, hash browns, and cheese. I think that's a win in the breakfast category. Anyway, now that I'm talking about it, my tummy is a-rumblin'. Why don't I meet you guys in our favorite spot, the kitchen, and we can whip up a pleasing breakfast? I'll see you there!




Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Bake
Yields 12 servings




You will need:



  • 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 package (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 package (2 pounds) frozen hash browns, thawed
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese



Ready?





  1. In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp. 
  2. Remove the bacon from the pan to a small bowl. 
  3. Cover and refrigerate. 
  4. Drain the drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in the pan. 
  5. Add the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms, then cook for 4 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. 
  6. Stir in the mustard, salt and pepper. 
  7. In large bowl, beat the milk and eggs with wire whisk. 
  8. Spray a 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. 
  9. Spread half of the hash browns in the baking dish. 
  10. Spread the onion mixture evenly on top. 
  11. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. 
  12. Spread the remaining hash browns over top. 
  13. Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns. 
  14. Heat oven to 325 degrees. 
  15. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center reads 160 degrees. 
  16. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese and the bacon. 
  17. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, the top is puffed and the cheese is melted. 
  18. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  19. Enjoy!




I'll be back again tomorrow with another scrumptious recipe for you all. Until then, have a great day with your friends and family. I'll catch you on the flip side. Happy blogging to all!