I'm not going to lie and say I enjoy hash browns as much as my hubby, but considering that this is one of those all together meals, I'll eat it. I'm normally more of a pancake, waffle, super ooey, gooey cinnamon roll kinda gal. Though every now and again a recipe catches my eye, much like this one. We're going for savory instead of sweet today. This recipe really has all the essential items in it: bacon, onions, eggs, hash browns, and cheese. I think that's a win in the breakfast category. Anyway, now that I'm talking about it, my tummy is a-rumblin'. Why don't I meet you guys in our favorite spot, the kitchen, and we can whip up a pleasing breakfast? I'll see you there!
Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Bake
Yields 12 servings
You will need:
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup milk
- 12 eggs
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan to a small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain the drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms, then cook for 4 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mustard, salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, beat the milk and eggs with wire whisk.
- Spray a 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread half of the hash browns in the baking dish.
- Spread the onion mixture evenly on top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread the remaining hash browns over top.
- Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center reads 160 degrees.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese and the bacon.
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, the top is puffed and the cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
I'll be back again tomorrow with another scrumptious recipe for you all. Until then, have a great day with your friends and family. I'll catch you on the flip side. Happy blogging to all!