Friday, July 12, 2013

Cod Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce

Welcome foodies and bloggers! Tonight we will be utilizing delicious cod to make one of my favorite foods: fish sticks. When I say this is one of my favorite recipes, I absolutely mean that. I eat fish sticks probably more than I should. I'm a seafood lover, and while normal fish sticks don't truly constitute as legit sea food, I still devour those delicious sticks like normal people would with sweets.

For our recipe, we will be using real fish, and not whatever is in store brand fish sticks. We will also be making a yummy tartar sauce to accompany them. I'm really excited about this recipe. I've made other fish sticks with various fish, but I don't think I've ever made them with cod. Now, while I'm still excited, I'm going to make my way into the kitchen. I invite you all to join me. I'll see you there!





Cod Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
Yields 4 servings





You will need:



  • 2 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1.25 cups Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
  • 1 tablespoon pickle juice
  • 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and minced
  • 1 cup vegetable oil






Ready?






  1. Spread flour in a shallow dish. 
  2. Beat eggs with 1/4 cup mayonnaise in a second shallow dish. 
  3. Spread Panko bread crumbs in a third shallow dish.
  4. Pat the cod dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Working with 1 cod strip at a time, dredge the cod strips in flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere. 
  6. Transfer the breaded cod to a plate.
  7. Combine the remaining 3/4 cup mayonnaise, pickles, pickle juice, and capers in a bowl and set aside.
  8. Heat the oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. 
  9. Fry half of the cod strips until deep golden and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. 
  10. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. 
  11. Repeat with the remaining cod strips.
  12. Transfer the browned cod strips onto a baking sheet lined with foil. 
  13. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cod strips are cooked through.
  14. Serve with the tartar sauce.
  15. Enjoy!




I hope your family and children (if you have kids) enjoy these fish sticks. I know I love homemade fish sticks a lot more than store bought brands. Anyway. I'll be back tomorrow with another tasty recipe. Until then, have a great day and Happy Blogging to all!