For our recipe, we will be using real fish, and not whatever is in store brand fish sticks. We will also be making a yummy tartar sauce to accompany them. I'm really excited about this recipe. I've made other fish sticks with various fish, but I don't think I've ever made them with cod. Now, while I'm still excited, I'm going to make my way into the kitchen. I invite you all to join me. I'll see you there!
Cod Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
Yields 4 servings
You will need:
- 2 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1.25 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and minced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Spread flour in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs with 1/4 cup mayonnaise in a second shallow dish.
- Spread Panko bread crumbs in a third shallow dish.
- Pat the cod dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Working with 1 cod strip at a time, dredge the cod strips in flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Transfer the breaded cod to a plate.
- Combine the remaining 3/4 cup mayonnaise, pickles, pickle juice, and capers in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Fry half of the cod strips until deep golden and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with the remaining cod strips.
- Transfer the browned cod strips onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cod strips are cooked through.
- Serve with the tartar sauce.
I hope your family and children (if you have kids) enjoy these fish sticks. I know I love homemade fish sticks a lot more than store bought brands. Anyway. I'll be back tomorrow with another tasty recipe. Until then, have a great day and Happy Blogging to all!