I am so very excited to have finished my first quilt-as-you-go baby blanket. This was for a GF of mine whose daughter is about to turn 1 years old. Blankets make me think of comforting food, which meant gravy. So here is my adjusted recipe that does not involve a lot of fat or salt.
Saucy Pork chops
- 3 boneless pork loin chops
- 1 c flour for dredging, seasoned as you like (garlic, pepper, oregano & paprika, is what I use)
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg of sliced baby bella or porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ - 1 cup of white wine, chicken bouillon or water (depending on how dry your pan is at this time)
- 1 glove of garlic minced
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- 2 tbsp of water
- Scramble egg and water together until combined
- Dip pork chop in egg mixture and dredge in flour to coat, set aside and repeat for remaining chops
- Heat oil in skillet on medium until oil starts to shimmer
- Cook chops until golden brown on both sides (about 3 mins per side)
- Remove from pan and set aside
- In skillet with remaining oil and juices, add onions, mushrooms and spices
- Sauté until onions begin to brown and mushrooms have cooked down, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add water and garlic continue to sauté for another minute
- Make slurry by combining cornstarch and water
- Add to veggie mixture and stir as it thickens
- Return pork chops to skillet and simmer for about 5 mins
- Eat and enjoy!
If you have not become accustom to cooking without salt, ½ tsp of sea salt should to the trick. This is a family friendly dish and works in summer and winter. I served mine with sweet potato tots, but mash potatoes or rice would be wonderful as well.