Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pork... It's What's For Dinner!

Good morning (or good evening) to all of my fellow bloggers! I welcome you to another eventful entry in E.M.E.F. I'm sorry about my absence yesterday. It was a very busy day, as well as night. I hope that I can make that up to you all with a delicious Asian themed dinner recipe. If not, I hope you continue to join in and enjoy everything anyway. So, as I stated, this meal is Asian themed. I love a good Chinese recipe. As a matter of fact, if I could live off of Chinese food for the rest of my life, I probably would. That is how much I enjoy it. Well, enough about me. Why don't we get started?

Spicy Sweet and Sour Pork

You will need:

  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 cup pre-chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup slivered green onions


Has the list been checked off for all of the above ingredients? Perfect!

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place almonds on a baking sheet; bake for 4 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
  3. While almonds cook, combine pork, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; toss well to coat. 
  4. Drain pineapple in a sieve over a bowl, reserving juice. Combine juice, remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, and Sriracha, stirring with a whisk.
  5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. 
  6. Add canola oil to pan, swirling the pan to coat. 
  7. Add the pork to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. 
  8. Add 1 cup onion, ginger, and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in pineapple and bell pepper and sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently. 
  9. Stir in vinegar mixture and bring to a boil. 
  10. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. 
  11. Sprinkle with almonds and green onions.
  12. For the Coconut rice: Combine 1 cup uncooked basmati rice, 1 and 1/4 cups water, 1/2 cup light coconut milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. 
  13. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 16 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
  14. Serve all together in a bowl and enjoy!






This is a hearty and mostly healthy meal, as most Asian inspired meals are. I hope you all have fun making this and I will see you all tomorrow! Good night!