New England Boiled Dinner
You will need:
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns (tied in a cheesecloth bag)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce
Grocery list, check!
- In a large pot combine the meat, the spice bag and enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Add vegetables and salt and return to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until fork-tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour longer.
- For the Horseradish Cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish and season, to taste, with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain.
- Transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter.
- Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired.
- Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
- Pass the horseradish cream for guests to help themselves.
I know this dish sounded a little complex based off of its ingredients, but really as you can see, it's simple. You let it do it's thing and then you come back and enjoy it. Please, don't just cook this once a year or on a holiday. Share it with your family. This meal *should not* be missed out on. I'll see you all later! Have a great meal and a wonderful evening.