Barney's Super Dee-Duper Dumplings
You will need:
- 2 whole-wheat pie shells
- 1 and 1/4 cup Peruvian purple potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (10 and 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken, shredded
(NOTE: You can find Peruvian Purple potatoes at your local Fresh Veggie market or at a Super Walmart possibly)
Are we still all together? Fabulous! Let's begin.
- Let pie dough come to room temperature.
- Help your child peel and prepare the purple potatoes just like regular potatoes.
- With a dull eating knife, allow your child to cut the potatoes into small cubes
- Cook them in a frying pan with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1/4 cup water until soft, but not mushy.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together vegetables, cornstarch, cream of chicken soup, and cooked chicken to create the dumpling filling. You child can do this step with a big wooden spoon, of course.
- Spray the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, or use mini baking cups.
- Roll 1-inch balls with bits of pie crust and put one ball into each muffin cup.
- Have your child use their fingers to press the dough firmly into each muffin cups, so that it is about 1/4-inch thick, creating a little cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of your filling into each dumpling cup.
- Cover loosely with foil so tops don’t get too well done.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil after the first 20 minutes of cooking.
- They are finished when dough is slightly golden and firm.
- Cool and serve.
As you can see, Barney's amazing purple color has been incorporated into a delicious family meal that any young child will love. I hope you all enjoy it. Wonderful job today little chefs! You are doing an amazing job cooking. Keep up the good work and I will see you all tomorrow!