Veprova Pecene S Knedliky
(Roast Pork with Dumplings)
You will need:
(For the Roast)
- 4 to 6 pounds pork loin
- 3 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup stock or water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 slices stale white bread
Have we got everything? Excellent! Let's start with our dumplings.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Use a wooden spoon and little by little, beat in the milk and mix with water.
- Beat the egg yolks into the mixture.
- Keep beating until the dough is well mixed and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Dice the bread and fold into the batter.
- Divide into 3 pieces and shape each like an oblong sausage.
- Heat plenty of salted water in a large deep pot.
- When the water boils, put in dumplings.
- Do not cover, but let the water simmer very gently.
- Cook for half an hour, then drain.
- Cut into slices with strong thread.
Now onto our actual roast...
- Score the fat with a sharp knife, rub with coarse salt, sprinkle with caraway seeds and marjoram.
- Put a cup of water in your roasting pan (pork doesn't need fat for roasting, only a little water).
- Put in pork and roast very slowly, in a 250 degrees oven until meat is tender (about 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours).
- Baste frequently to obtain a crisp, crackling fat on top.
- Thicken the pan gravy with flour, dilute with stock or water.
- Slice pork and pour gravy over.
- Garnish with Bread Dumplings.
And there we have a Czech recipe. I hope you all enjoy it. Share the culture and the love. Leave me some comments about what you would like to see, or what you already like from the blog. I hope to see you all tomorrow. Thanks for joining in. Love to you all!