Friday, September 2, 2011

A Healthy Little Thing


Good afternoon bloggers! Welcome to another edition of Everyday Meals. We are definitely doing some changes around this blog. I have recently decided to look into Buddhism. Along with that, I am converting back to being a vegetarian. I enjoyed my life then (not that I hate my life now). I was just a bit healthier, and yes, I can be a health nut sometimes. But I am not forcing any uuber healthy stuff on you all. I do however want to introduce you to one of my favorite foods ever. I have always been a sucker for a good veggie burger. Well, that is what we are making today. I know, I know. I'm getting a few groans here and there, but trust me. It's not as tasteless and icky sounding as you think. I'll meet you in the kitchen!





All-Star Veggie Burger





You will need:





  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
  • 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
  • 5 tablespoons Korean barbeque sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil





Still with me? Excellent!






  1. In a large bowl, stir together the mashed garbanzo beans and basil. 
  2. Mix in the oat bran, quick oats, and rice. 
  3. The mixture should seem a little dry, but that's okay.
  4. In a separate bowl, mash the tofu with your hands, trying to squeeze out as much of the water as possible. Drain of the water, and repeat the process until there is hardly any water worth pouring off. 
  5. It is not necessary to remove all of the water. 
  6. Pour the barbeque sauce over the tofu, and stir to coat. 
  7. Stir the tofu into the garbanzo beans and oats. 
  8. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sage, then mix until well blended. 
  9. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Form patties out of the bean mixture, and fry them in hot oil for about 5 minutes per side. 
  10. Serve as you would burgers.
  11. Enjoy!






I hope you all have a great night. I know this is a big difference from our normal yummy, fatty foods. I just want to take it up to a slightly healthier notch. Anyway, enjoy the recipe as well as the video below (which by the way, is a BRAND NEW song and video from one of my favorite singers, ever... Mr. Darren Hayes.) Happy blogging and I'll catch you on the flip side! <3