French Leek and Ham Shepherd's Pie
You will need:
- 2.25 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1.5 pounds leeks, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1.5 pounds cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes, then drain, cool and chop. Stir in the cream, butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mash until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent.
- Stir in the leek and cook another minute until the leek is soft, but not brown.
- Mix in the peeled tomatoes, lower the heat, and simmer five minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have lost some of their shape.
- Stir in the ham and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Pour in the ham and leek sauce and cover with the remaining mashed potatoes.
- Brush the surface of the mashed potatoes with the beaten egg yolk.
- Sprinkle on the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
I hope you all have a wonderful day. Take it easy, watch some tv, go outside, or whatever it is that makes you happy. I'll catch you all on the flip side. Happy blogging! <3