Friday, June 21, 2013

Welcome Back Party, Anyone?

Hey friends and bloggers! I'm back from my brief Birthday hiatus, and I'm ready to share a cake recipe with you all. I know I said I might be around on my Birthday, but I changed my mind and decided on having some much needed family time. I also stated that Dani would be returning on Wednesday. She was back, technically, but she was recuperating from what I assume was a wild vacation, haha. We will definitely get back to normal by next week, I promise.

Before we get started, I wanted to share what my amazing family got me for my Birthday yesterday. I'm also going to share an obligatory cake photo, but pardon my messy stove. We had "Messy Marvins" last night. Those are sloppy joes, but with a more mature name.


I am a huge Star Wars fan, so my brother and sister got me a Pop Vinyl Boba Fett to go along with my talking Chewbacca and my Darth Vader M&M candy bobble head thing. His head jiggles. My other brother bought me a charcoal art pencil set. I'm always drawing, so his gift was perfect. Actually, both gifts were perfect. 


This is my delicious vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting. I'm a simple woman, really. All it takes is a cake like this, and a ton of candles (which they had). It was super sweet and I ate 2.5 pieces... Not all in one sitting though! I'm not sure my body could handle that much sugar in one sitting. 

So, now that I shared my special day, are you ready to make a cookie cake? Let's do it!



Funfetti Cookie Cake





You will need:



  • 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1.25 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2.5 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup rainbow jimmy sprinkles
  • 2 tablespoons rainbow nonpareil sprinkles
  • Half recipe buttercream icing (click HERE), or canned frosting



  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. With an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add the vanilla, almond, and egg and beat until well combined, scraping down the sides as necessary.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
  5. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and continue to mix until just combined.
  6. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the sprinkles and combine until well distributed. 
  7. Be careful not to mix too much at this point or the sprinkle colors will start to bleed into the dough.
  8. Shape the dough into a circle and roll it out on a lightly-floured surface until it's a 1/2" to 2/3" thick disc.
  9. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the edges are just golden brown.
  10. Cool the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  11. Transfer icing to a piping bag fit with a medium start tip and decorate cookie cake as desired.
  12. Enjoy!



I will be back later with an actual dinner recipe (unless you readers request something like dessert). Until then, happy blogging to all and I'll catch you on the flip side!