Tonight's salmon isn't going to be overwhelmingly sweet, but it will have your taste buds screaming HOLY WOW! Now, I love salmon. I know we use it a lot here, but it's the one fish that I can never get enough of. So let's grab our aprons and cooking necessities and I'll meet you in the kitchen like always!
Brown Sugar Chili Salmon
For the Salmon, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper
- 4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, thinly sliced into rounds
For the Crema, you will need:
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, stemmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, garlic, parsley, and salt, and pulse until smooth. The consistency should be similar to cake batter--thick yet spreadable. To thin it if necessary, add a tablespoon or two of water and pulse to incorporate.
- Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, salt, and the cayenne pepper.
- Lay the salmon on a work surface and sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over each filet, rubbing it into the flesh on all sides.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 of the salmon fillets (skin-side-up if they have skin on) and cook, undisturbed, until the underside is crisp and just beginning to blacken, about 4 minutes.
- Flip the fillets and cook an additional 4 minutes, until the fish feels firm to the touch.
- Remove to a plate immediately.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat.
- Add the remaining 2 fillets of salmon and repeat the cooking process.
- Once all of the salmon is cooked and transferred to a plate, add the lime slices to the now-empty pan and cook just until they begin to caramelize, about 30 seconds.
- Flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- To serve, divide the salmon fillets among four plates and spoon 2 generous tablespoons of crema over each.
- Press a caramelized lime slice into the crema to garnish.
Have a wonderful evening, and I'll be back again tomorrow. Until then, happy blogging to all, and I'll catch you on the flip side!