Seeing as it is Summer, I have been in a greasy bacon-y mood. Today, we are going to be making bacon waffles and Scotch eggs. The bacon won't be as greasy, so I'm sure I can huddle in a cool corner and exercise this meal off later. No worries, right? Anyway, Scotch eggs are hard-boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage, coated in bread crumbs, and deep fried. Sounds unhealthy, yes? It might be. No judgement on my part though, haha. Scotch eggs are really popular in the UK, but I wanted to bring them to our tables today to accompany our amazing waffles. So, now that I've blabbed your ears off, are we ready to get into the kitchen? Let's go!
Bacon Waffles and Scotch Eggs
For the Waffles, you will need:
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Scotch eggs, you will need:
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
To make the Waffles:
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the bacon on the prepared baking sheet, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is crispy and the brown sugar is caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Immediately remove the bacon to a cutting board, cut into small pieces, then set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron, then grease with cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Fold the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
- Add the bacon and stir, being careful to not over mix.
- Ladle the batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
To make the Scotch eggs:
- Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Divide the sausage into 6 portions.
- Roll each egg in flour and with your hands, wrap a portion of the sausage around each egg.
- Dip the sausage-wrapped eggs into the beaten eggs, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Cook each egg in the oil for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked and browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
I hope your family enjoys this delicious breakfast! I'll be back again tomorrow with a new recipe, but until then, have a great day and happy blogging to all!