Saturday, June 8, 2013

Breakfast Saturday: Sausage, Pancake, and Egg Sandwiches

Good morning friends and bloggers! The one thing I really enjoy about the weekends is breakfast with my family. Our normal breakfast staple is cinnamon rolls, or breakfast tacos. When I'm not with my family, I enjoy pancakes. Lots and lots of pancakes. I guess you could say I'm a pancake-a-holic. It could be a problem... I'm not sure yet though.

For today's family breakfast, I wanted to take those pancakes and make them even cooler, hence: sausage, pancake, and egg sandwiches! It's the best of the breakfast world served together, in perfect breakfast-y harmony. You could deconstruct the meal and serve an ordinary breakfast, but this seems like fun to me. So let's grab our syrup jugs and I'll meet you in the kitchen!




Sausage, Pancake, and Egg Sandwiches
Serves 4-5




For the Pancakes, you will need:


  • 2.5 cups self-rising flour 
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for skillet 
  • Butter, for skillet

For the Eggs, you will need:


  • 8 eggs
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 4 crumbled cooked sausage patties

For Assembly, you will need:

  • American cheese slices 
  • Butter 
  • Maple syrup



Ready?



  1. To make the pancakes: Heat a nonstick griddle to medium heat while you prepare the pancake batter. 
  2. Combine the flour and salt. 
  3. Mix the milk, eggs, and oil together, then add to the flour mixture.
  4. Butter your skillet and then add 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet, which will keep the butter from burning. 
  5. Ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter, for each pancake, onto the skillet. The bottoms of the pancakes should brown in roughly 2 to 4 minutes. 
  6. Flip to finish cooking the other side. 
  7. Cook until lightly golden brown.
  8. Reserve the pancakes in a preheated 200 degree oven until ready to assemble.
  9. To make the scrambled eggs: Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. 
  10. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk them until the whites and the yolks are combined. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. 
  11. Add butter to the skillet and allow it to melt. 
  12. Add the eggs and reduce heat to medium-low. 
  13. Add the sausage. 
  14. Stir frequently until soft small curds have developed. 
  15. The more you stir, the creamier the eggs will be. 
  16. Remove from heat.
  17. To assemble: Place a slice of American cheese on top of a pancake, then top with scrambled eggs. 
  18. Top the scrambled eggs with another slice of cheese and place another pancake on top. 
  19. Add a dab of butter and smother with maple syrup.
  20. Enjoy!



I thank you for joining me today! May you and your family have a fun-filled weekend. I'll be back tomorrow with another delicious recipe, but until then... I'll catch you on the flip side, and happy blogging to all!