Monday, June 3, 2013

Baked Reuben Casserole

Welcome bloggers and friends! The weekend has come to an end, and Monday is here unfortunately. Along with the Monday blues is the "I-don't-feel-like-cooking" blues. We've all been there, so for tonight's meal I wanted to do something kind of simple. I don't think anything can be simpler than a casserole. I mean, you throw all the ingredients into a baking pan and VOILA!

So, lately I've been in a chicken and fish kind of mood. I wanted to stray away from those things. I wanted to offer up something we really don't use often here at Everyday Meals: corned beef, or if you prefer, pastrami. I just like the idea of a deconstructed sandwich turned casserole. It makes my mouth water when I think about it.

Are we ready to get started? Great! I'll meet you in the kitchen!



Baked Reuben Casserole
Serves about 6




You will need:



  • 5 to 6 slices of rye bread, divided
  • 3/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef or pastrami
  • 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained 
  • 3/4 cup dill pickles, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 4 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing


Ready?



  1. Butter an 11×7-inch baking dish. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  3. Cut 3 to 4 pieces of the bread into cubes so that you have 2 cups of bread cubes. 
  4. Line the bottom of the dish with the bread cubes. 
  5. Cover the bread cubes with half of the corned beef. 
  6. Make additional layers in this order: sauerkraut, pickles, caraway seeds, 2 cups of cheese, the remaining beef, and the remaining cheese. 
  7. With a whisk, beat together the eggs, milk, mustard and Thousand Island dressing until well mixed. 
  8. Pour the mixture over the casserole. 
  9. Using a blender or food processor, make 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs with the remaining slices of bread. 
  10. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the casserole. 
  11. Bake for 40 minutes or until set in the center.
  12. Enjoy!




I thank you for joining me today. If sauerkraut isn't really your thing, feel free to check out a few equally simple meals such as: 



Or


All three pages have a variety of awesome meals that may suit you and your family. So, once again, thank you for joining me, and I hope you have a great day! Happy blogging to all, and I'll catch you on the flip side.