Usually, I can find avocado at other times, but they're never as fresh as Summertime. For tonight's dinner, we will be utilizing that amazing fruit. Yes, if you didn't know, avocado is technically a fruit because it grows on a tree, as opposed to in the ground like vegetables. Did you know that the avocado originated in Puebla, Mexico? The oldest evidence of avocados was around 10,000 BC, in a cave in Coxcatlan, Puebla, Mexico. Knowledge is awesome, right? So, now that the smart stuff is out of the way, are you ready to get to the fun stuff like cooking? I am! I'll meet you in the kitchen. Let's go!
Chicken Avocado Casserole
Yields 8 servings
You will need:
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 avocados
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in large heavy skillet.
- Add olive oil and swirl together with the butter.
- Add chicken and saute until chicken pieces are browned and juices run clear.
- Turn the pieces to brown evenly while sauteing.
- Place the chicken breasts in 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter until foamy.
- Stir in flour, and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the cream and chicken broth.
- Continue stirring and cooking until smooth and thickened.
- Season sauce with Kosher Salt, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, hot pepper sauce and herbs, then set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms in the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Add sherry and cook until reduced.
- Place the mushrooms over the chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, then sprinkle with almonds, and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice avocados lengthwise and place over chicken before serving.
I'll be back tomorrow with another scrumptious recipe. Just a heads up, I will be taking Thursday off. It's my birthday. I might be around with a cake recipe, or some dessert recipes... who knows? Any way, have a great day and I'll catch you on the flip side. Happy blogging to all!