Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dani Wednesdays: Thai Shrimp and Veggie Curry

Hello. I am still on vacation. Thought I would share another clean out your refrigerator recipe with you. This is one of my favorite recipes. You can make this with varying degrees of spiciness. However, the recipe below is for a mild version; increase the red curry paste for more heat. While searching for red curry paste at my local Asian market, a little lady told me the key to a good curry is fish sauce and a bit of sugar. I started making this at home because my local restaurants never used enough vegetables for my liking. Turns out this tasty treat was super simple and saves me money by eating at home. Remember, if you do not like the veggies or protein I have chosen, use what you like; the basic recipe is the same.




Thai Shrimp Veggie Curry
Serves 4 people Cook time: 45 mins






  • ½ lb shrimp – Deveined and shell removed (26-30 per lb)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 zucchini
  • ½ lb asparagus
  • 1 onion – cut into large chunks
  • 1 clove garlic – pressed or minced finely
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 – 15 oz can of coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp of fish sauce
  • 1-2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 tbsp of red curry paste (I use Mae Ploy)
  • 3 tbsp of Vegetable oil
  • Cilantro
  • Green Onion
  • Lime






  1. Toss Shrimp with garlic powder, salt and pepper until nicely coated. Cover and place in fridge for about 15 mins.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp on oil in skillet or dutch oven over med-high heat.
  3. Cook shrimp until pink and no longer translucent, approx. 2 mins per side.
  4. Set shrimp aside  on a plate, while you cook veggies
  5. Stir fry produce in 1 tbsp oil, stirring frequently. I prefer my asparagus and zucchini to be tender, yet still firm and crisp. So I stir fry long enough for my onions to begin to brown on the edges about 5 -7 mins. 
  6. Cook to your desired doneness, keeping in mind they will cook a bit more in the sauce. 
  7. Remove veggies from pan to begin work on sauce.
  8. Add remaining oil to pan, add curry paste and whisk to loosen.
  9. To further loosen, add ½ cup cold water and reduce heat to med-low (Purpose of cold water is cool down the ingredients and pan slightly to keep coconut milk from curdling. If this happens, all is not lost; it will still taste good.)
  10. Pour in coconut milk and reduce to low, add garlic, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce
  11. Whisk to combine all ingredients in pan. If sauce gets too thick add more water.
  12. Add veggies, cooking for approximately 10 mins.
  13. Serve over rice or noodles, top with shrimp and sprinkle with cilantro & green onion. An extra wedge of lime is a nice touch so everyone can squeeze a little extra on, if they wish.






This recipe is also great if you have extra chicken, steak, etc from another meal. As far as veggie go, I usually use what I have on hand. One of my favorites to use is carrot because it adds a nice sweetness and brings color to the dish. Bell peppers, broccoli, whatever you like will work fabulously. If you make recipes with items you like, you are more inclined to make it again. Enjoy!