So, let's grab the family, our aprons, and that delicious cup of java, and I'll meet you in the kitchen!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
Yields 3-4 servings
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen roasted corn (or regular frozen corn)
- 1 cup black beans, canned or homemade
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 3 eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute for about six minutes, until tender.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno and frozen corn, and continue to saute for another four minutes.
- Add the cumin and toss well.
- Add the sweet potatoes and black beans, then reduce heat to low, cover skillet and let cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Check every five minutes or so to make sure the potatoes aren't sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- You can add a little water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Add cayenne pepper and salt to the sweet potato mixture, then add cheese and stir over low heat until all the cheese has melted.
- Crack three eggs on top of mixture then transfer to the oven and broil on high for 3 to 5 minutes until the eggs are cooked through.
- Serve with some hot sauce and enjoy!
I hope you all have a great weekend. Our amazing Dani should be back this next Wednesday, and she has some great stuff for us all. She'll be doing something a little different this week, so hang tight and let's welcome her back with open arms! Until tomorrow, friends, I'll catch you on the flip side and happy blogging to all!