Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dani Wednesdays: Enchilada Casserole

Hello, it is Dani Wednesday, again. Time flies while I am on vacation. Before I left, I made this lovely meal for you. HUGS!

Remember the leftover chicken I had last week? Here is a wonderfully easy recipe to make with leftover chicken. If you do not have already cooked chicken on hand, a store bought roasted chicken or even chicken strips will work. Heck, make it without chicken is fine, as well. TIP: if you do not like spicy food, look for tomatoes with green chilies and not jalapeƱos. I made this mistake and my son would not eat more than one bite.




Enchilada Casserole
Serves 8 – 10 Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 45 -50 mins





Ingredients:

  • 1-2 cooked chicken breasts; shredded
  • 1- 12 oz can refried beans, of your choice (If making this non-spicy, use traditional, veg or fat free)
  • 1- 12 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies (can use regular diced, for milder flavor)
  • 1- 12 oz can mild enchilada sauce (I like Las Palmas, but what ever is on sale will work. Can use Medium, instead of Mild for more heat)
  • 1- 12 oz can tomato sauce
  • 12 corn tortillas (I prefer yellow corn, but white is fine)
  •  2 cups of cheese (I use Mexican blend)
  • Sour cream and Cilantro for garnish








  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix beans and diced tomatoes in a bowl
  3. In separate bowl, mix enchilada and tomato sauce
  4. Spray a 13x9x2 baking dish with cooking spray
  5. Layer 6 tortillas in the bottom of baking dish
  6. Spread beans on top of tortillas
  7. Sprinkle cheese (at this time, you can add spinach or veggie of your choice. I meant to use spinach, but forgot while I was putting it together)
  8. Add a few spoonfuls of sauce evenly on layer
  9. Top with the remaining tortillas
  10. Pour Sauce over top and place in oven for 25 mins
  11. With 20 mins remaining, top with remaining cheese
  12. Cook until cheese is fully melted and starting to brown 









My son would normally eat this, but since I made the jalapeƱos error, it was not a big hit for him. My husband and I enjoyed it while the boy ate pb&j. I had extra ingredients leftover, so I made an extra little one for my husband while I am out of town. This recipe, like all my other ones, is very flexible. Use what you like or have in your house. Experiment and let me know how it turns out. Enjoy!


Cheers, 
Dani