Grilled Tri-Tip Steak with Molasses Chili Marinade
You will need:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds tri-tip steaks
- In a large glass bowl or container, whisk together brown sugar, molasses, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, chili powder and freshly ground black pepper until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place tri-tip steaks in the marinade and turn until completely coated.
- Let marinate for about 1 hour, covered, turning the steak occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush with canola oil.
- Place the steaks on the grill (do not discard the marinade) and cook until desired texture, about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks.
- Remove steak from the grill and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Transfer the marinade and any juices collected from the cooked steaks to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a low boil and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the steak.
Now that everything is prepared, let's sit down with a nice glass of lemonade (or an ice cold beer) and enjoy this masterpiece that you have made. Kudos to you future griller! Good night!