Thursday, December 11, 2014

Traditional Shortbread

Good evening foodies and friends! Tonight's recipe is one that really hits home for me. Every year, my big sister and I make this recipe. It wouldn't be the holidays to me without this recipe. Now, I'm sure you might be scratching your heads a little bit, but I will fill you in: traditional shortbread. I couldn't imagine having Christmas without it on our menu. The only difference between my sister's recipe and this recipe would be the addition of powdered sugar as a topping, but it's really a preference kind of thing. I prefer my shortbread without powdered sugar.

I'm really, really excited to get started on this recipe. I'll meet y'all in the kitchen!



On the twelfth day of Christmas recipes, your hostess gave to you


Traditional Shortbread



You will need:



  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • Extra sugar to sprinkle






Ready?




  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar and beat until pale, light and fluffy.
  3. Mix in the flour until the dough is smooth.
  4. Once smooth, on a clean surface roll it out to 1/2 inch thick.
  5. Cut dough into 2 x 4 inch rectangles and place on a clean baking sheet.
  6. Poke holes in the top with a fork.
  7. Sprinkle with extra sugar.
  8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until pale golden and when done, cool on a wire rack.
  9. Store in an airtight tin.





Thank you for joining me for such an awesomely easy Christmas recipe. It's honestly one of my personal favorites, and I'm so lucky to be able to share it with all of you! Stay tuned tomorrow for a new recipe in our 25 Days of Christmas Recipes theme. Until then, happy blogging and I'll catch you on the flip side!



-Mandie