☃On the eleventh day of Christmas recipes, your hostess gave to you☃
Yields 40 Cookies
You will need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Royal Icing:
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of water
- red & green food coloring
- For the Gingerbread People: In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, molasses, water, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add butter.
- Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and incorporated.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture (after it’s cooled) with a wooden spoon.
- Mix until combined.
- Place dough into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and flatten the dough evenly into one sheet.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare a clean, flat surface with a light dusting of flour.
- Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness, adding flour as needed.
- With a floured cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling racks before icing.
- For the Icing: Place ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat until icing is smooth and matte, about 8 minutes.
- Color and pipe icing as desired.
Okay lovelies, I'll be back tomorrow. Stay tuned to see what's in store for our next recipe!