Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sauteed Chicken, Corn, and Edamame


Welcome everyone to another edition of The Tasteful Texan. If this is your first time joining us, my name is Mandie. Tonight we will be making sauteed chicken with corn and edamame. If you aren't familiar with edamame, it's a wonderful little vegetable. Edamame is basically the early stages of a soybean that are taken while still in their pod, then boiled or steamed and served with salt.

I had my first ever edamame when I was 15. It was amazing. Yes, amazing. To this day, I will ALWAYS recommend edamame to people looking to try something new. Okay, so back to the topic. Edamame is popular in Hawaiian, Chinese, and Japanese cuisine. Obviously, we aren't making any of those things, but I urge you to rush out to your local market and find a bag in your frozen food section (unless you can find them fresh elsewhere). No really, go. Haha, anyway. I'm itching to get in the kitchen and make dinner, so I invite you all with me. I hope to see you all there!





Sauteed Chicken, Corn, and Edamame
Yields 4 Servings





You will need:



  • 4 ounces sliced bacon
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
  • 1.5 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen




Ready?







  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 6 minutes. 
  3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. 
  4. Discard the drippings.
  5. Wipe out the skillet and heat the oil over medium-high heat. 
  6. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
  7. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and roast until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
  8. Meanwhile, add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
  9. Add the edamame and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
  10. Break the bacon into pieces and add to the skillet. 
  11. Stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. 
  12. Spoon onto plates and serve with the chicken.
  13. Enjoy!








Thanks for joining me. As I stated in yesterday's blog entry, I may or may not be back tomorrow. It's a holiday here and my husband doesn't work. That means I get to spend a little more time with him before he does have to work. If I am around tomorrow I'll post a dessert recipe or something equally tasty. For now, have a great day and happy blogging to all!