Monday, September 16, 2013

Fried Calamari


Hey foodies and friends! Welcome to The Tasteful Texan! I'm back from my usual weekend retreat, and I come bearing a wonderful Italian recipe. Please note that this dish is a seafood dish, so if you have a seafood allergy feel free to check out any of our other recipes.

Now, calamari is in fact squid. I can hear it now: "Eww! Squid? Why would anyone eats that? That's gross!" It's actually delicious when seasoned, battered, and fried. On that note, Japan is the leader in consuming squid, so let's take note from them and try it.

I'm about to head into the kitchen, but I invite you all to join me. I hope to see you all there!





Fried Calamari
Makes 4 Servings





You will need:



  • Peanut oil
  • 2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
  • 1 cup self rising flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper




Ready?






  1. In a deep stock pot, add the oil to come 4-inches up the side. 
  2. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. 
  3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper together. 
  4. Toss in the calamari, covering well with the flour mixture. 
  5. Drop the calamari into the hot oil in small batches, cooking for approximately 1 minute until golden brown. 
  6. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
  7. Enjoy!







See? That wasn't totally horrible! Now, I urge you, friends, to take a bite and see just how delightfully yummy this is. I know this probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for others, it will be the highlight of their tastebuds. I'll leave you all with this and I'll be back tomorrow. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!