Good evening bloggers! Tonight, we are diving into the wonderful world of French Toast. Everytime I hear that word, I instantly think of the youtube video about it. It's hilarious and I will share the link with you at the end of this blog. But for now, we are doing a twisted blueberry and orange version of French Toast. Let's grab those "Kiss the chef" aprons and get cooking!
Blueberry and Cream French Toast
You will need:
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Bring the red wine, orange juice, and orange zest to a boil in a small saucepan, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the maple syrup and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Continue cooking 5 minutes more, then reduce the heat to warm and keep the syrup hot.
- Meanwhile, spread one side of each slice of bread with the softened cream cheese.
- Press the blueberries into the cream cheese and sandwich two pieces of bread together with the cream cheese on the inside to form the sandwiches and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl, then whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture allowing the egg to soak into the bread.
- Allow the excess egg to drip off.
- Cook the sandwiches in the hot butter until golden brown on both sides and the bread is no longer soggy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with the hot orange maple syrup.
I hope you all have a wonderful evening and I will catch you all tomorrow for another delicious entry to Everyday Meals. I leave you all with this funny video. Happy blogging!