Good afternoon bloggers! I would like to start out by saying welcome to another Cajun entry to Everyday meals. Seeing how I was absent yesterday, we will be preparing two (2) recipes today to finish off our Cajun Week. I hope you have plenty of time and a hearty appitite! Let's get started!
Downhome Stuffed Trout
You will need:
- 16 speckled trout fillets
- 1/4 cup melted butter
For the Stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound crab meat, picked to remove all shells
- 1/4 pound shrimp, peeled
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and red pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound shrimp
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- To prepare the stuffing, saute the onions and celery in butter.
- Add the crab meat and shrimp, then simmer, uncovered, until the shrimp is cooked (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Add bread crumbs to thicken the mixture.
- Add salt and red pepper to taste.
- Butter two 9 x 13 inch baking dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 4 trout fillets in each baking dish and top with a scoop of stuffing, followed by another trout fillet, then drizzle melted butter on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the fish is done.
- While the fish is baking, prepare the sauce by melting butter and sauteing celery, green onions, onions and garlic.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until pink.
- Add the mushrooms and white wine and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Arrange the trout on a serving platter and pour sauce over the fish.
- Some of the sauce may be reserved and served in a gravy boat.
Ready for our next recipe? Great!
Catfish Pecan Meuniere
You will need:
- 6 catfish filets
- 3 cups roasted pecans
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup seasoned flour (season with salt, black and red peppers)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Creole seasoning blend
- Olive oil
- Chopped parsley
For the Meuniere Sauce:
- 3 lemons, peeled and quartered
- 7 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- To Prepare the meuniere sauce: In a large sauté pan combine the lemons, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and whipping cream.
- Blend with a wire whisk over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 4 minutes.
- As you stir, press gently on the lemon quarters to slowly release the juices.
- Slowly add the butter by pinching off a little bit at a time and squeezing it through your fingers into the sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- As you add the last of the butter, remove from heat and continue to stir.
- Strain through a fine strainer and keep warm.
- To Prepare the catfish filets: Trim the fat and any rough edges off the catfish filets.
- Lightly season with Creole seasoning and place in the refrigerator.
- Grind 2.5 cups of the pecans and the bread crumbs together in a food processor.
- Place in a shallow pan or plate and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, make an egg wash by combining the 3 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Set up a standard breading station on your table or counter top.
- Bread filets by first coating them with the seasoned flour, then placing each in the egg wash and then finally pressing each into the ground pecan/bread crumb mixture, making sure the entire filet is coated well.
- Using a large skillet or sauté pan, cover the bottom with olive oil, and heat.
- Gently place the fish into the hot oil.
- Cook until lightly brown, turn fish and repeat.
- If fish isn't cooked all the way through, place in a shallow baking pan in a 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
- Place one filet on the plate, drizzle with meuniere sauce, and top with the rest of the roasted pecans, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
I hope you all have a fun-filled day. Thank you for joining me for Cajun week. Next week, we are taking a break and doing individual recipes again. I will catch you all on the flip side. Happy blogging and enjoy this youtube video below! <3