Friday, August 30, 2013

Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie


Hey foodies and friends! I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do for our blog entry today, and well, I just couldn't think of a single dinner recipe that I wanted to do. That lead me to start thinking about other things we could do here. Ultimately, I settled on dessert.

I'm fairly certain that that's how things work. If normal food doesn't sound appetizing, we automatically go for the snacks and sweet stuff. Today, we are combining the hazelnut deliciousness of Nutella with pumpkin pie, thus: Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie. Sounds amazing right? I normally don't whip out the pumpkin pie supplies until Thanksgiving rolls around, but I figured football season is upon us, and that means Thanksgiving is nearing so why not? I enjoy both nutella AND pumpkin pie, so this seemed a logical choice for our blog entry. Okay, okay, enough chatter. I'm headed toward the kitchen. I invite you all to join me. I hope to see you there!





Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie





For the Crust, you will need:



  • 1.5 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled


For the Filling, you will need:



  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 15 ounce can pure pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (may also use light brown sugar)
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Nutella (or 4 oz melted quality chocolate)




Ready?





  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick spray, then set aside. 
  3. Grind the gingersnap cookies into a fine crumb. 
  4. Mix with melted butter, sugar, and salt. 
  5. Press the mixture into the pie dish. 
  6. Bake crust for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
  7. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. 
  8. Add the remaining ingredients (sans the Nutella) and stir to combine. 
  9. Pour the mixture into the pie crust, reserving 1/2 cup. 
  10. Mix the reserved cup of pie filling with Nutella. 
  11. Drop globs of the Nutella mixture onto pie, swirling with a knife (or other pointy utensil). 
  12. Do not over swirl.
  13. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the filling is set.
  14. Allow to cool completely, and enjoy!








I'll be back tomorrow for Breakfast Saturday. Stay tuned because as usual, there will always be something scrumptious served up! I'll catch you all on the flip side. Happy blogging to all!