Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dani Wednesdays: Hungarian Goulash


Hello, again. This week I needed a recipe to make with some stew meat I got on sale at the local market. I was tired of Mexican and traditional stew was not appealing to me. So after searching the internet, I got some ideas for Goulash. None of the recipes were exactly to my liking, so I created my own. This was a hit in my house and Hubs said it was even the envy of his co-workers when he took it for lunch the next day. Just talking about it makes me wish I still have left-overs. :)





Hungarian Goulash
 serves 4 (best to double, so you do not have to cook for a few days)






Ingredients:


  • 1 lb beef stew meat
  • 3 tbsp veg oil
  • (dry spices)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 sm red onion sliced
  • 1/2 bag of baby carrots (optional)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 c ketchup
  •  2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 dutch oven (very important)







Procedure:

1.  Combine dry spices in a gallon size zip lock bag and shake
2. Place stew meat in bag, seal bag and toss/ massage meat to coat with spices (this makes sure each piece is well seasoned
3. Heat oil on medium until the oil begins to shimmer
4. Brown meat coated in spice mixture until completely browned (This process is very important in sealing in juices and adding a richer flavor to the dish)
5. Add onion and carrots, continue to saute onions begin to brown
6. Next in the pot is the tomatoes, combine with all other ingredients and let it begin to reduce
7. Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to pot.
8. Bring contents of pot to a boil
9. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 2 hours or until meat begins to separate with a fork
10. Enjoy over egg noodle, rice, potatoes, etc.






Note: This meal can be made in a slow cooker on low for about 7-8 hours, however be sure to brown your meat at the very least. Otherwise the flavor will be a bit flat and not as delectable. (This made not be traditional Hungarian by any stretch, but it is tasty and similar in many ways)