Saturday, August 3, 2013

Breakfast Saturday: Pastrami-Veggie Hash and Fried Eggs


Good morning friends, bloggers, and foodies! Today we will be making a wonderful breakfast hash and fried eggs. I know that some people are particular about how they like their eggs (I am), so if fried eggs aren't your thing, feel free to adjust the recipe for something you DO like. I like my eggs fried hard, so no runny yuckiness. I can also settle for scrambled well. As you can tell, runny, watery, goopy eggs turn me off from breakfast.

Like I said earlier, we will be making a hash. My husband makes thing amazing potato hash, like seriously. This is not a potato hash, however. It's a veggie hash full of zucchini, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and a bunch of other delicious (and healthy) things. Yum, right? Yes! I'm getting hungry just thinking about this meal. Would you all care to join me in the kitchen so we can whip us up some breakfast? Okay, cool. I'll meet you there!




Pastrami-Veggie Hash and Fried Eggs
Makes 4 servings






You will need:



  • 2 medium zucchini
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled
  • 1 parsnip, peeled
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 baking potato
  • 8 thin slices pastrami, cut into strips
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 8 eggs



Ready?





  1. Using a box grater or a food processor with the shredding disk, shred the zucchini, sweet potato and parsnip, then transfer to a colander. 
  2. Toss with 1 tsp. salt and let stand for 20 minutes. 
  3. Peel and shred the baking potato, roll it in a towel and squeeze out the excess liquid, then transfer to a bowl. 
  4. In the towel, roll up handfuls of the zucchini mixture and squeeze to remove the excess liquid. 
  5. Add to the baking potato. 
  6. Add the pastrami, 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper, then toss.
  7. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat. 
  8. Spread the hash mixture evenly in the pan, lower the heat to medium and cook, undisturbed, until hash is golden-brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes. 
  9. Using a heatproof spatula, divide the hash into sections, then turn and cook until golden outside and tender inside, about 5 minutes. Divide the hash among plates.
  10. In another nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. 
  11. Fry the eggs to the desired doneness, adding the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil if needed. 
  12. Top the hash with the eggs.
  13. Enjoy!





Have a happy morning and weekend. I might be back tomorrow, or I might take the day to rest. I'm not sure yet, but until then I hope you enjoy your breakfast! I'll see you all later. Happy blogging to all!