Hey foodies! Welcome to a new entry to The Tasteful Texan! Today we will be making shrimp tacos. I'm fairly certain that it's been awhile since we made shrimp tacos, if we've made them ever. My memory fails me. Anyway, these tacos will have a small kick to them, but the avocado will keep things nice and cool, and that's exactly what we need in this awful Summer heat!
This recipe makes 4 servings, and only takes about 40 minutes total, so your time in the kitchen will be short. Actually, the longest thing about this recipe is the prep work. That will take up 3/4 of your time right there. The cooking only takes 10 minutes. So, with that being said, I'm ready to get this prep work over with so we can enjoy these scrumptious tacos. Will you meet me in the kitchen? Great! I'll see you there!
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde
For the Salsa, you will need:
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, quartered, seeds optional
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1.25 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
For the Shrimp, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle or blended chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp (about 20), peeled and deveined
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Put the onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a food processor and finely chop.
- Add the tomatillos, avocado, and salt and pulse until chopped but still chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro.
- Heat a stovetop or outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Mix the olive oil, chipotle or chili powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Grill the shrimp until translucent, about 1.5 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Grill tortillas, until slightly charred and pliable, about 20 seconds per side. (Alternatively, wrap in a damp paper towel and heat in a microwave.)
- Spoon sauce on the tortilla, then top with about 2 or 3 shrimp and a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve 2 tacos per person, with a lime wedge on the side.
I'll be back soon with yet another mouth watering recipe! Stay tuned for Dani Wednesdays as well. Dani will be serving up yet another one of her original recipes. I can't wait! Until then, have a great day, and happy blogging to all!