Welcome ladies, gents, and food lovers! Tonight we will be making delicious fried chicken sandwiches. I saw this recipe while scrolling through pinterest. I have to say, I'm addicted to the food and drink section of the site. Well, anyway. This recipe was floating around and it really struck my fancy. I thought it would be perfect to share here with you all.
This recipe comes from Son of a Gun in Los Angeles, and they include a really awesome slaw and spicy mayo. They remind me of uuber fancy Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. If I had to choose between Chick-Fil-A and this sandwich, this sandwich would take all the trophies, the medals, and the pretty banners! Now, I'm rather excited to get into the kitchen and make this recipe. I welcome you all to join me. I'll see you there!
Fried Chicken Sandwiches
Yields 4 Servings
For the Spicy Mayo and Slaw:
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/2 cup Bread-and-Butter Pickle slices, plus 1/4 cup pickle juice
For the Fried Chicken and Assembly:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- Peanut or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 white sandwich rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- To make the Spicy Mayo and Slaw, mix the garlic, mayonnaise, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl, then cover and chill.
- Toss the onion, jalapeño, cabbage, pickles, and pickle juice in a large bowl to combine, then cover and chill also.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a shallow bowl.
- Pour buttermilk into another shallow bowl.
- Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into bowl.
- Dredge again in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch.
- Prop a deep-fry thermometer in oil so the bulb is submerged.
- Heat over medium heat until thermometer registers 350 degrees.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet, then season with salt.
- Spread the cut sides of rolls with butter.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, cook the rolls buttered side down until browned and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Spread with spicy mayo.
- Build sandwiches with rolls, chicken, and cabbage slaw.
Enjoy this scrumptious sandwich, and be sure to share with your friends and family. They will more than love this fancified chicken recipe. If not, well, to each their own. As usual, I'll be back soon with another yummy recipe, but until then: have a great day, and happy blogging to all!