Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dani Wednesdays: Beef Chili Nachos


Beef Chili Nachos





  • 1/2 lb ground beef ( I used less than 7.5%)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 poblano
  • 2 New Mexico Hatch peppers ( I used mild. If you cannot find, just use more poblano. Next time, I will probably use only Hatch, if they are in season. I like their flavor and sweetness)
  • 2 med zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 c shredded carrots ( I use store bought)
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 can petite cut tomatoes
  • 1/4 c crushed tomatoes or 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/8 tsp chipotle powder
  • 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 3 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • juice from 1 lime
  • Tortilla chips
  • Mexican cheese blend
  • sour cream or plain yogurt





1. heat oil in pan until is begins to shimmer
2. brown meat with onion  over medium heat about 5 mins
3. add spices, garlic, zucchini and carrot stir for about another 2 mins (do not let garlic brown for it will begin to taste bitter. You may need to reduce heat)
4. as pan begins to dry, add all tomatoes
5. cook until most of the liquid has evaporated
6. add lime and you are ready to build your nachos
7. place chips on bottom of bowl or plate
8. top with chili and your other favorite toppings






This recipe is pretty mild in heat from chili, you may want to modify up or down for your family's taste. I prefer to let my family build their own, so I set the table with all the ingredients separate. This is great for kids, but I like it too so every one gets exactly what they want. Note: this is a great way to hide veggies, so that know really feels like they are eating them. Also, you can use the chili for tacos or in eggs, so there is no need to worry about leftovers. - Enjoy-