I know, I know... why can't we do a meat-filled recipe? I can practically hear people yelling this at me, but trust me when I say that this will be something delicious and exciting! Let's push aside all reservations and take the leap with this dish! You can't expand your horizons if you have a closed mind and eyes. So, with that being said, take a deep breath, grab your apron, and I'll meet you in the kitchen!
Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers
Yields 4 servings
You will need:
- 2 cups coarsely mashed sweet potatoes, about 2 large potatoes
- 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1 cup cannellini beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- extra salt and pepper for seasoning yogurt/cream
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Roast a few bulbs of garlic.
- Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork and place on a paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash the beans with a fork.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and mash together, then add in spices, salt and pepper, minced garlic, egg, panko and flour.
- Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes. This helps form them into patties, but as a warning they are still somewhat messy.
- While the mixture is chilling, combine yogurt/sour cream with 2 bulbs of roasted garlic cloves, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Remove the mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot.
- Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Then, add more oil if needed and flip the burgers very gently.
- Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Toast the buns if desired.
- Assemble by topping burgers with the roasted garlic cream and avocado.
Thanks for joining me today. I hope this recipe has been a new and exciting experience for you. If you enjoyed today's post, feel free to join me again tomorrow for another tasty recipe. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!