Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers

Good morning bloggers! I wanted to do something a bit more up my ally recipe-wise today. I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes. I could eat them all the time! I know it may seem strange to use sweet potatoes as the base for a burger, but I like the idea. It's one of those "outside the box" recipes. It also works for those people who don't like meat dishes, or have a certain lifestyle that prohibits meat consumption.

I know, I know... why can't we do a meat-filled recipe? I can practically hear people yelling this at me, but trust me when I say that this will be something delicious and exciting! Let's push aside all reservations and take the leap with this dish! You can't expand your horizons if you have a closed mind and eyes. So, with that being said, take a deep breath, grab your apron, and I'll meet you in the kitchen!



Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers
Yields 4 servings



You will need:




  • 2 cups coarsely mashed sweet potatoes, about 2 large potatoes
  • 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
  • 1 cup cannellini beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup oat flour
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • extra salt and pepper for seasoning yogurt/cream
  • 4 whole wheat buns


Ready?



  1. Roast a few bulbs of garlic.
  2. Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork and place on a paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.
  3. In a large bowl, coarsely mash the beans with a fork. 
  4. Add in the sweet potatoes and mash together, then add in spices, salt and pepper, minced garlic, egg, panko and flour. 
  5. Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes. This helps form them into patties, but as a warning they are still somewhat messy.
  6. While the mixture is chilling, combine yogurt/sour cream with 2 bulbs of roasted garlic cloves, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. 
  7. Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.
  8. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. 
  9. Remove the mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot. 
  10. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side, about 5 to 6 minutes. 
  11. Then, add more oil if needed and flip the burgers very gently. 
  12. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. 
  13. Toast the buns if desired.
  14. Assemble by topping burgers with the roasted garlic cream and avocado.
  15. Enjoy!






Thanks for joining me today. I hope this recipe has been a new and exciting experience for you. If you enjoyed today's post, feel free to join me again tomorrow for another tasty recipe. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!