I used to enjoy the smell of freshly baked bagels brought in from our sister shop down the road. We had every type of bagel you could want, from blueberry to everything bagels. Everything bagels with vegetable cream cheese was my breakfast of choice. Today, however, we get a bit ambitious. I can say that we never had chocolate and granola bagels. If we did, I'm sure they would've sold like hot cakes. So, let's get our day started, and I'll meet you in the kitchen!
Chocolate Chip and Granola Bagels
Yields 8 servings
You will need:
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3.25 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1 egg
- In a bowl, combine the water and sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Pour in the yeast and allow this to sit for 6 to 8 minutes, it should bubble/fizz slightly.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, chocolate chips and salt.
- Once the yeast mixture has had time to activate, pour it into the flour mixture and stir until a crumbly dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 6 to 7 minutes until the dough begins to become elastic-like. You can also do this in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into eight equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball and press your finger through to form the center hole.
- Once you have shaped all the bagels, allow them to rest for 10 minutes or so.
- Now place them into a pot of boiling water. They should float.
- Let them cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side, then remove to your prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg plus 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl and brush this over each bagel.
- Sprinkle on the granola.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, and enjoy!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I will catch you all tomorrow. Stay tuned for more delicious recipes throughout the week. I'll catch you all on the flip side, and happy blogging to all!