Welcome everyone to Everyday Meals! It's Sunday, the day of rest, and I wanted to utilize that. For our recipe today, we will be digging out our crock pots (or as some folks like to call them: slow cookers). Not everyone is thrilled about cooking on a Sunday, which is why we are going to devote about half an hour or so towards prepping and then another 4 hours towards relaxation.
Our meal today is Coconut Pork Curry. If you have food allergies, and cannot eat coconut or any of the ingredients listed, that's okay. This meal is still a great recipe to share with friends and family. So, let's grab our cooking supplies and like always, I'll meet you in the kitchen!
Coconut Pork Curry
You will need:
- Steamed rice (refer to package directions, make ahead of time)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- chopped cilantro
- sliced scallions, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the pork to the skillet and brown it over moderately high heat, for about 12 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook over low heat, stirring, until fragrant and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk and stock, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Spoon off as much fat from the surface of the stew as possible.
- Serve the stew over rice in deep bowls, garnished with cilantro and scallions.
Thank you for joining me for another aromatic recipe. I'll be back tomorrow with another new entry, so stay tuned! Happy blogging to all, and I'll catch you on the flip side!