Eggplant and Bolognese Pizza
You will need:
For the dough:
- 4.5 cups all white whole wheat
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the toppings:
- 1/2 cup slices mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- crushed red pepper
- Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano cheese
- cornmeal to dust on pizza
- To make the dough, add the yeast to the 2 cups of water until it becomes foamy.
- Add the sugar, olive oil, and vinegar.
- While the yeast is dissolving in the water, add the flour, rosemary, and salt to food processor and pulse a couple times to thoroughly.
- Add the water and yeast mixture gradually to the flour mixture and process until the dough begins to form a ball and comes away from the sides of the container.
- Pour the dough onto a floured surface.
- Sprinkle with flour and knead for several minutes until the dough is smooth and not sticky.
- Place in a bowl rubbed with olive oil, cover with towel and let sit for 1.5 to 2 hours, until it doubles in size.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the eggplant by frying in olive oil in a small pan until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Back to the dough: After two hours, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead a couple times and cut in 1/2 or in three equal pieces.
- Form into neat balls.
- For the pizza, preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven.
- Stretch out your dough and push downward in the center with your fingers to a desired shape and size.
- Dust the pizza peel with a little cornmeal and lay down your dough on top of it, reshaping it and leaving a little thickness on the edges.
- Spread out a layer of sauce in the center of the dough, leaving about an inch for the crust.
- Arrange the eggplant pieces and cheese evenly over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with fresh parsley.
- Lightly rub a tiny bit of olive oil on the edges.
- Slide the pizza onto the rack and let cook for about 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and the crust looks browned.
- Remove and garnish with the fresh parsley, parmigiano cheese and crushed red pepper if.
I thank you for joining me this evening. Come back soon for more delicious recipes. Happy blogging to all! <3