Shell Steaks with Red Wine Butter
You will need:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, cracked
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1/2 cup ruby port
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- Vegetable oil, for grill
- 4 (10 to 12-ounce) shell steaks (also called club steak or New York steak), about 1.25 inches thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
You haven't run off on me, have you? Great!
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and shallot and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the coriander seeds and peppercorns and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pull the pan from the heat and add the port and wine.
- Return the pan to the heat and, if cooking over a gas burner, tip the pan to let the alcohol ignite and then die out.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer briskly until syrupy, 20 to 25 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Beat the remaining butter in a medium bowl with a handheld electric mixer or whisk until smooth and light.
- Add the reduced wine mixture, vinegar, parsley and 1.5 teaspoons salt and beat until evenly mixed.
- Spread a 12-inch-long piece of plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Mound the butter across the plastic wrap, about 2 inches from edge nearest you.
- Fold the bottom edge of the plastic wrap over the butter and roll it up to make a 1-inch-wide log.
- Twist the ends together in opposite directions and refrigerate until firm.
- Prepare an outdoor grill with a high fire.
- Brush grill grate lightly with oil.
- Season the steaks on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Grill 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the meat reads 120 degrees to 125 degrees for rare; 125 degrees to 130 degrees for medium-rare; or 130 degrees to 135 degrees for medium.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve each steak topped with a 3/4 inch thick slice of the wine butter.
I hope you all enjoy this special day devoted to all of the great Fathers out there. You're worth it! I'll see you all tomorrow. Have a great rest of the afternoon and evening!