Thursday, June 30, 2011

Entering the World of Etouffe

Good morning amazing bloggers! I have managed to weasel my way onto a computer for a little recipe time with my favorite people. This pleases me, which means I may be able to weasel online tomorrow as well. Today we are going to be making a seafood etouffe. An etouffe, pronounced e.tu.fe, is a Cajun dish normally served with chicken or seafood. It can be compared to gumbo if you must compare it to something. This dish is very popular in the bayou country and Louisiana. The meaning of etouffe means "smothered" or "suffocated". Okay, I'm sure I have filled your heads with a little knowledge this morning, so enough of this idle chatter. Let's see our recipe for today!




Cajun Crawfish and Shrimp Etouffe




You will need:



  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
  • 1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup fish stock
  • 1 pound crawfish tails
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined




  1. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
  2. Gradually pour in the flour, making sure to stir constantly until the mixture turns a tan brown or darker, at least 15 or 20 minutes.
  3. Once the roux is browned, add the onions, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the skillet, and saute for about 5 minutes to soften.
  4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and fish stock, then season with the seafood seasoning.
  5. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Season the sauce with hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper, and add the crawfish and shrimp.
  7. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque.
  8. Enjoy!







I hope you all have a fun and extremely hot Summer's day. Go enjoy the food and the pool. I will try my hardest to be back tomorrow. I send my blogging love through the internet to you all! See you on the flip side.