Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alaskan Lasagna? WHAT?!

Good afternoon bloggers! Before we start, I want to fill you in a little bit about myself. I'm sure that those of you already have figured me out a little, but that doesn't tell you much about my history. I was born in Alaska. It is my pride and joy, my home of all homes. I love the fresh salmon and the smell of the tundra. I love when it rains, but on only half of the road. Okay, as you can guess, I LOVE Alaska. This is all relevant to our meal tonight. We are making... Drum roll please?



Alaskan Halibut Lasagna



You will need:



  • 6 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1.5 pounds halibut steaks, bones removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
  • 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • Minced fresh parsley, optional





  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. 
  2. Add the halibut and thyme. 
  3. Cook it until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. 
  4. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer, then remove and set aside. 
  5. Add the remaining butter to the skillet. 
  6. Stir in flour and salt until it's smooth, then cook and stir until golden brown. 
  7. Gradually add the broth and cream. 
  8. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. 
  9. In a greased 13 x 9 baking dish, layer half of the noodles, halibut, white sauce and cheese, then repeat the layers. 
  10. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 
  11. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbly. 
  12. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. 
  13. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
  14. Enjoy!








If you all ever have the chance to google, or even visit Alaska, DO IT. It's a treasure all it's own. You have a great est of the afternoon and evening. I will be back tomorrow!