Cherry Cannoli Cups
You will need:
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups chopped hazelnuts - divided use
- 1 (15 ounces) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 jars (one 16 ounce and one 10 ounce) maraschino cherries, drained
- Place wonton wrappers on a work surface and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the wrappers with sugar.
- Press into greased miniature muffin cups.
- Sprinkle each wonton cup with 1 teaspoon hazelnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, inn a large bowl, beat the ricotta, cream cheese, confectioners sugar, liqueur if desired and vanilla until smooth.
- Cut 24 cherries in half and set aside.
- Chop the remaining cherries and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each wonton cup.
- Sprinkle with the remaining hazelnuts.
- Top with a reserved cherry half.
Amaretto Purses with Mascarpone and Fontina
You will need:
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Fontina cheese, grated
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 25 sheets phyllo dough (14 x 8.5 inches), cut in half
- 4 to 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- Blend the two cheeses together until smooth.
- Add the almonds, Amaretto, white pepper and cherries.
- Mix well and chill for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the 25 sheets of phyllo loosely with plastic wrap; take out only the sheets that you are working with.
- Place a half sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush with melted butter.
- Top with another half sheet of phyllo and brush with butter, and repeat with one more half sheet.
- Put a tablespoon of cheese filling in the center.
- Bring up the edges of the phyllo to form a purse (pouch) shaped packet.
- Place on a heavy baking sheet and brush the exposed surfaces with butter.
- Repeat to form 16 packets, placing them approximately 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Pictured Above: Cherry Cups
Pictured Above: Amaretto Purses
There you all go. Two very scrumptious desserts to serve any time. I recommend serving them at a small get-together. They will sure be a crowd pleaser! Well, that's all for today. I'll see you all tomorrow (if my computer and internet allow it). Good night!