Monte Cristo Sandwiches
You will need:
- 2 slices dense white bread
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 thin slices Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 2 thin slices deli ham
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry
- jam or red currant jelly
- Cooking oil, for the pan
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 tablespoon butter
- Have your child spread 1 slice of bread with the mustard. Then layer on 1 slice of cheese followed by both slices of ham and the last piece of cheese.
- Have them spread the jam or jelly on the other piece of bread, then press it, spread side down, onto the sandwich.
- Use a piece of paper towel to rub an unheated heavy skillet with a little cooking oil.
- Place the skillet over medium heat.
- As the skillet heats, have your child whisk the eggs, milk, and salt in a shallow bowl until frothy.
- Put the butter in the center of the pan.
- As it starts to melt, have your child hold the sandwich together firmly and briefly submerge one surface in the egg batter then twist his or her wrist and submerge the other surface.
- Immediately place the sandwich in the pan, before the butter browns.
- Grill the sandwich on the first side for about 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Then flip it with a spatula and grill it on the second side for another 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the sandwich from the pan to a plate, slice it in half, and serve.
This is a very easy and kid friendly recipe. You can make as many or as little as you would like. The more, the better (especially if you have teenagers). Great job little ones and parents! We will see you all tomorrow for another fun recipe. Goodnight!