Apple and Cinnamon Damper
You will need:
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 5 tablespoons of chilled butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 gala or pink lady apples, grated
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 banana, sliced when serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking tray and line it with baking paper. Lightly grease the baking paper and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugars and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Use your fingertips to rub butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles small breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated apple and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the milk and 1/2 cup of cold water to flour mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a sticky dough. Add a little extra water if necessary to moisten the dough slightly.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Gently knead it until it's just smooth -- about 4 times.
- Shape dough into a 6 to 8 inch round.
- Place the round on the prepared baking tray.
- Rub some flour on a sharp knife and score top of damper into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Tap the bread and if it sounds hollow, it's ready.
- Let the bread stand on the tray for 5 minutes and then place it on a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve with butter, banana and maple syrup.
And there we have it, the favorite dessert or Australia and New Zealand. I hope you all can find it in your stomachs to call this dish a favorite for you and your household as well! I will see you all tomorrow. Good night!