Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Sweet Treat? Day 4

Good evening and a merry morning to you all! I am aware that this blog is coming to you all a tad bit late, but considering the day that I've had, I'm very sorry. I thought long and hard during my epic fight with my computer about what we will be baking up today. I've come up with a great plan! We will be taking a tour through Scottish territory. This idea came with a little help from my best friend and sister, Jessica. We occasionally discuss her family trips from the past and Scotland is some place that her and I both would like to venture to one day. So, in tribute to her, here's an Scottish favorite.

Treacle Scones

You will need:

  • 8 ounces self-rising flour
  • 2 ounces butter
  • 1 ounce caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons black treacle or molasses
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 5 fluid ounces milk, to mix
I've got my handy, dandy mixer ready! Do you? Okay, let's go!

  1. Heat oven to 425 degree and grease a baking sheet.
  2. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter.
  3. Mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
  4. Add the treacle or molasses and sufficient milk to make soft dough.
  5. Turn on to a floured surface and knead gently- the dough should be fairly moist and elastic.
  6. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick, and cut into rounds with a 2 and 1/2 inch pastry cutter.
  7. Place on the baking sheet, brush with a little milk and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden in color.
  8. Cool on a wire rack.
  9. Serve split in half and buttered.





I honestly can say that this is one of the easiest recipes we've scrounged up. I hope you all enjoy it. If you like Scottish food, I encourage you to google Scottish recipes. They love putting whiskey in their recipes, but it's not always a main ingredient. Any way, enjoy and I will see you all tomorrow!