Swordfish with Olives & Capers
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- Four 8 ounce swordfish steaks
- generous 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 12 green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- Spread out the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper
- Coat the fish in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottom skillet. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until just golden.
- Remove the garlic and discard.
- Add the fish to the skillet and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove the steaks fro the skillet and set aside.
- Place the onion and anchovies in the skillet and cook, mashing the anchovies with a wooden spoon until they have turned to a puree and the onion is golden.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the olives and the capers and taste to adjust any seasoning you feel is off.
- Return the steaks to the skillet and heat through gently.
Voila! You have a delicious, unique kind of meal. Please remember: very young, pregnant, and childbearing age are warned against eating swordfish due to the high methylmercury in swordfish. On that note, eat what you wish, on your own terms. Enjoy the meal and I will see you all tomorrow to continue our rendevouz with Italian cooking! Caio!