Spicy Seafood Pizza
Picante de Pizza de Mariscos
You will need:
(For the dough)
- 1/2 ounce dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 9 fluid ounces hot water
- 12 ounces white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves whole peeled garlic
- 8 cloves peeled and coarsely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup small cooked and chilled shrimp
- 1/3 cup boiled and coarsely chopped calamari
- 1/3 cup boiled and chopped littleneck clams
- 1/3 cup poached and chopped catfish fillet
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large cayenne pepper, thinly sliced
- 1.5 (1 and a half) teaspoons chili pepper flakes
- 20 ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pepper to taste
To Make the Dough:
- Put the yeast and sugar together in a measuring cup and mix with 2 fluid ounces of the water. Leave the mixture in a warm place for 15 minutes or until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt and make a well in the center. Add the oil, the yeast mixture, and the remaining water. Using a wooden spoon, mix together to make a smooth dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured counter and knead for 4 to 5 minutes until smooth.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean, damp dish towel, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes then stretch the dough with your hands to form a round. Then place it on an oiled baking sheet, pushing out the edges until even. The dough should be no more than 1/4 inch thick because it will rise during cooking.
Now Let's Make Our Pizza:
- Saute the shrimp, clams, catfish and calamari with 4 whole cloves of garlic, using 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, for about 40 seconds or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Discard whole garlic and drain the oil from the skillet.
- Layer 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese on the prepared pizza dough. Top the Monterey Jack cheese with seafood mixture.
- Arrange the onion slices, tomatoes, garlic and sliced cayenne pepper on top of seafood mixture. Spread the Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella cheese and then the remaining olive oil on the pizza.
- Place pizza on un-greased baking large round cake pan or baking dish. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the crust becomes golden brown and the cheeses are bubbling.
I hope this pizza has sated your hunger and questions on certain things, such as how to make pizza dough. Come back tomorrow for our final day of Spanish week. I will see you all soon. Have a great dinner and adios!