Good morning fellow bloggers! Today is an amazing day. As a matter of fact, it's going to be an amazing week. This blog is taking a dramatic turn, but not forever, I promise. This week, with the help of friends and family, I've decided to introduce you all to desserts for the everyday family. Yes, I said it. Desserts. Those delicious and slightly unhealthy things that we all crave. For me, I'm a night owl so I do all of my snacking at 3 in the morning, but it doesn't have to be that way for you all. You can enjoy these desserts at any time. So, full steam ahead! Let's make some goodies!
You will need:
- 2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Browned Butter Icing (I will include how to make this below)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped nuts
Have you all got your whisks? Okay. Let's do this!
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture, then add oil, yolks, and water.
- Beat with an electric mixer (or a wooden spoon if you don't have a mixer) on low to medium speed until combined.
- Beat on high speed for about 5 minutes or until satin smooth. Set aside. Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In a very large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Pour batter in a thin stream over the egg whites; gently fold together.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet or pizza pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 60 to 65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert cake in pan. Cool completely.
- Gently loosen sides of cake from pan with a spatula or knife.
- Invert cake over a serving plate and remove pan. Drizzle with Browned Butter Icing and sprinkle with nuts.
NOW FOR THE BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING...
- In a small saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Remove browned butter from heat.
- Place 2 cups sifted powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in browned butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3 to 4 tablespoons milk until icing consistency.
- Pour over cake
So, there we go. We have our first dessert of the week. I hope you all enjoy it and I will see you all very soon! Have a great afternoon and evening everyone!