Hot Tamale Pie
You will need:
- 1.25 pounds ground pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno chile, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2.25 cups whole milk
- 1.75 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat your broiler.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over high heat until hot.
- Add the pork and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink, making sure to break up the meat with the side of a spoon.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a bowl and wipe your skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, heat some oil over medium heat.
- Add the green pepper, jalapeno, and onion, then cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Return the pork to the skillet and stir in the salsa and corn.
- Heat everything to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan, bring the milk and broth to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, while gradually whisking in the cornmeal.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until very thick, making sure to stir often.
- Spoon over the pork mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the skillet in the broiler, making sure to put it in a position closest to the source of heat.
- Broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
I hope you all enjoy this lovely, cheesy delight. I will catch you all on the flip side. I send blogging love out to you all! Good night!